Sunday, March 6, 2011

In Good Company


A flimsy square card table sits just outside the perimeter of the Christian Life Center floor's black border, marking the outskirts of the gym floor. A hand-written sign, complete with green and yellow highlighter coloring, reads "PRESS," with the words "non-violent zone" in parentheses. A white lap top and camera case sit, very official-looking, on the table. I sit behind them.

I have exclusive coverage rights to the one and only annual Lutheran Loop Dodgeball Tournament. It's kind of a big deal, so I don't know where all the other sports media junkies were. I wasn't complaining, though. Exclusive coverage, people!

While I didn't take stats, or notes, or even many photos (and most of the ones I did get were either blurry or dark), I'd say the afternoon was a success. If for nothing else, the chuckles that my sign garnered made it more than worth it. I also got to chat with friends I hadn't seen in a while and met at least two new people. Honestly, I thought I'd sit off to the side the entire afternoon while everyone but me threw balls at each other and take photos for the first half hour and then not know what to do with myself. So yep, definitley a success.

Whether dodgeball's your thing or not (I do actually have a good time with it), my sentimental rainbow for the day is who cares what you're doing as long as you're in good company.

Next year, however, I'll try and remember my tennis shoes and actually get in on the action (still leaving some quality time on the sidelines, of course). A friend of mine told me he wants me back for the press next year, only this time with a fedora and small white card sticking out of the rim. I think I'll just remember the shoes.

No comments: