Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Just a Game

I'll admit it, I tend to be more emotionally invested in the sport of football than perhaps I should. More specifically, the NFL. And if you really want to get picky, I bleed green and gold...aka, I'm a Packers fan. When you're raised on that stuff, by the time you're 21 years old and have 7 rabid sports fan brothers that you've grown up with, you've developed a pretty deep-seeded fandom.

And if you know anything about the NFL, you would know that last night was one of the biggest games in the history of NFL rivalries...the Packers vs. the Vikings. Notice I didn't say the Packers vs. Brett Favre.

I'm going to take a brief moment to rant about this situation, but will try to keep it just that, brief since everyone who's anyone, and everyone else, has put in their two cents on this, and quite frankly, none of it matters when it boils down to Favre himself. He's going to do what he's going to do.

But my issue with Brett Favre vs. the Packers is that the game is being made into a one-man show. It's a TEAM sport. It's not the Brett Favres. It's the Vikings. Just like its not the Aaron Rodgers...it's the Packers. Brett Favre loves the game. Everyone and their mother have opinions on why he came back, but I firmly believe that he does have a passion for the game and just wants to play. I don't necessarily approve of his methods, but its his life to do with what he wants. I love the guy. He was my quarterback, and one of the greatest to play the game, for 16 great seasons in Green Bay. Does it hurt to see him in purple? A stab to the heart. But, I still want to see the guy do well. Just how exactly that works I haven't quite figured out, but I'm certainly not a Favre hater. And that said, Aaron Rodgers is my QB now.

Ok, enough about the media circus. The game last night was...tragic. Back to my original statement...I'll be the first to admit that I take the games too seriously sometimes. And I was wondering to myself last night why that is. I think maybe because its something that I can get worked up about and invested in that's not dangerous.

Does that make any sense at all? With things that actually matter, I try to maintain my cool. I try and think rationally and not get all worked up or overreact or get too emotional, because there are real consequences. With football, it's a game. It's also a bonding element. My family laughs, cheers, yells, screams and throws things together over this stuff. Beyond anyphilosophical meaning assigned to it, its just a love of the game. I love football. I love playing it, I love watching it, and I love being a fan. Its something to connect with other people on that you may have nothing else in common with.

And...it's so straightforward. My brother recently said that he's sworn off of the NFL because of all the drama surrounding it recently. That's not the game, that's the media. The game itself is a beautiful thing. Sports in general. Back to my simplicity obsession. The greatest moments in sports are raw, unadulterated talent (well, if you're not on steroids). Its something to celebrate. Its a gift that God gave to these people, and they're using it. And we're enjoying it:) Granted, it can be made into an idol, which is what I'm certainly trying to stay away from, but just as with anything else, in moderation. I do have to remember, it is a game.

So yay for football and here's to an exciting season. And here's to keeping my nerves from imploding inside my brain at every interception, fumble, or just plain stupid ref's call. And here's to celebrating the touchdowns, catches, 50+yard-field goals, the athletes, and everything else that makes this game great.

3 comments:

Sonja said...

I'll add this: Hurrah for football!

Seriously, I don't really give two hoots about most games, unless I'm being pushed along with someone else's enthusiasm. That being said, football really is a fun game, and, jokes aside, I'm glad you love it so much.

Unknown said...

Wow, Laura, I've often wondered why people are so into football. I like it, but it's a mild, "that's nice" kind of liking. You've just given a very sympathetic and effectual explanation. I'll be a more enthusiastic spectator next time I'm at my brothers' game. :)

Laurelin said...

Awww, thanks Erin! And Sonja:)