Saturday, October 17, 2009

Parents' Weekend

Busy week! It's Parents' Weekend here at Dordt and the campus is a buzz with activity. They're everywhere!

Last night was the Fall Music Festival, which I was apart of for the orchestra, and today there are two play performances, one of which I'm working at tonight. I don't get to see actually see the play till next week, but by then I'll have a pretty good idea of where the yelling and shouting parts are (that's about all I can here from my work post in the costume shop).

Parents' Weekend is always kind of a funny feel for me. It's not really any different than any other weekend, other than the fact that it's swamped with parents. My parents were here last night for the concert, but they're here for almost every concert so it really didn't feel that different. Which made me realize that maybe I take for granted a little bit the fact that they are here for every concert! It's really pretty cool that they're not only able to do that, but that they take the time to! It's still a 45 min. drive here and back for them, but I don't think they've ever missed more than one or two concerts a semester. Wow.

It's really great to be able to see a lot of my friends from far off getting to see their parents, and it's also a little bittersweet because I know people from far away who's parents simply can't make the trip. Then you kind of have to make your own family. Which is awesome in and of itself, but you still can't help but miss your real family.

I guess everything's bittersweet in some way. There's always someone that isn't happy. There's always going to be someone who feels left out or left behind. That's kind of a sad thought, but reality. And sometimes that person's going to be me. I guess the best I can do is try and give them some extra love and get them through till Christmas:). But the really great thing is that there are loving parents to miss. If you didn't miss them, that'd be much worse (maybe a stretch, but I'm looking on the bright side!). And it makes the reunions that much sweeter. And that goes beyond earthly ones, too.

No comments: